Travel Blog of the Month: A Broken Backpack by Melissa Giroux
February’s Travel Blog of the Month winner is ‘A Broken Backpack’, penned by Melissa Giroux whilst roaming the world. To learn more about her blogging inspiration and travelling lifestyle, we asked her to fill in the Backpax Blogger Q&A…
Name: Melissa Giroux
Travel Blog details: A Broken Backpack
1. When did you start your travel blog & what inspired you to set it up?
I started A Broken Backpack back in 2015. I was living on a farm in Australia and I was quite bored. To entertain myself, I started to write about Australia – in English- and I fell in love with the blogging world.
2. What is your favourite overseas travel destination?
There are so much places to discover in Asia. My favourite country is the Philippines, but I’d go back to Asia every month if I could. I love the cultural shock, the gentle smiles and being able to live without spending too much. It makes me appreciate every single thing, it makes me feel alive.
3. What’s your favourite travel memory?
Probably trekking across the rice terraces in the Philippines. It was quite challenging, but so rewarding! I was also disconnected from the Internet for three days and it felt good!
4. Which European city do you love most?
I recently fell in love with Brussels (waffles always win), but I’d say I prefer the countryside or the remoteness of an island. I love the mountains in Wales as much as I love the coastal views in Malta.
5. What’s your favourite travel blog you’ve written called & why?
I really like 12 Questions You Should Ask Your English Friends as it represents me well. Between silliness and sarcasm, I like to add a hint of truth.
6. What future travel do you hope to have planned?
I’m not a huge planner, but I’m planning a few European adventures for the next few months. Then, I’ll visit home for a few weeks. I might move to New Zealand or stay longer in England, I don’t know yet!
7. What three items are must-bring things for you on your trip (other than the essentials like passport etc)?
My GoPro, my laptop and my phone – blogger’s essentials! Hahaha!
8. What’s the best thing travel has taught you?
How to let go and make the most of your current day. It’s not always easy, but I’m still working on this. The world is huge, I’m tiny and I want to make the most of it.
9. What book would you recommend as a good read on a long trip?
I can’t remember the last time I’ve read a book. But, I could recommend some nice reads on my blog. 😉
10. What’s your favourite meal to cook/eat?
My favourite meal is quite simple; hamburger! Especially, if it’s a homemade one!
Visit A Broken Backpack for more of Melissa’s travel blogs.