November 2017 Q&A: The Fort York
For November’s Q&A we’ve managed to grab a few moments with Fiona Helme, from The Fort York – a fabulous boutique backpackers found with the walls of this olde worlde northern city. Fiona tells us about this uniquely decorated hostel, York’s best sights and a bit about her own favourite travels..
1. When did The Fort York open & how long have you been working there?
2011 and I have been here for 6 years.
2. What do you like about working at there?
The variety of interesting people that I meet.
3. What 3 words would you use to describe The Fort York?
Central, affordable and comfortable.
4. You advertise as a boutique hostel – can you tell us a bit about the hostel’s decor?
The rooms are individually decorated and unique, all designed by young designers. There are also modern wet-rooms which visitor’s love.
5. What do you like about living in York?
York is beautiful and steeped in history. It is a friendly and vibrant city where everything can be reached on foot.
6. What are the ‘must see’ sights of the area?
York Minster, The Bar Walls, York Dungeon, Railway Museum, Castle Museum, Clifford’s tower, the list goes on…
7. What travel experiences have you had?
I enjoy city holidays and traveling via train as you get to see lots of the landscape. I travel to America often to visit my sister who lives there and we love going on road trips.
8. What is your favourite travel destination?
Anywhere in Europe as it’s so varied.
9. What’s your favourite travel memory?
Arriving in New York and seeing the steam rising up from the pavements – it was just like stepping onto a movie set.
10. Finally, what’s your favourite tipple (alcoholic or non alcoholic)?
Has to be a good Gin & Tonic – very refreshing.
For more information about The Fort York, visit their website. Book yourself a stay at this funky boutique hostel, perfectly located to explore York, a northern gem of a city!