November 2016 Q&A: NorthShoreBude Backpackers
November’s Q&A takes us to Cornwall’s North West coast where Janine & Sean run NorthShoreBude Backpackers, a homely place with great surf on its doorstep. We managed to grab a few minutes of Janine’s valuable time…
1. When did your hostel open?
NorthShoreBude opened on June 20th 2003
2. What inspired you to set up a backpackers’ hostel?
A ‘Round-the-World’ trip staying in many a cheap hotel and hostels also we had no job to go back to.
3. Why did you set your hostel up in this location?
A quick look at the map of YHA hostels around the coast had a gap between Elmscott to the north and Boscastle to the south and other locations were swamped with hostels already.
4. What 3 words would you use to describe your hostel?
Welcoming, homely and adaptable.
5. Any future plans for your hostel?
A slow and thought out primping of facilities and infrastructure.
6. What are the ‘must see’ sights of the area?
The Sea Pool as well as the canal and lock. You must surf and take in at least one sunset from Compass Point. Arthur’s Castle at Tintagel is magical and Port Isaac is home to the filming of Doc Martin a popular British TV programme. There’s also a great cycle route from Padstow (home of Rick Stein) inland to Bodmin via Wadebridge. Don’t miss St Nectan’s Glen Waterfall and The Reverend Hawkers Hut which is cut into the cliff so he could write his sermons and smoke his ‘pipe’ in peace.
7. What backpacking experiences have you had?
A Round-the-World trip in 2000, driving to and crossing the Sahara by Land Rover in the late 80s, and some far-flung family trips.
8. What is your favourite overseas travel destination?
For the scenery it has to be Bolivia and for the people New Zealand but the overall best destination is San Francisco, or maybe Las Vegas, or L.A. – ok, let’s just say anywhere we’ve gone with good friends!!
9. What’s your favourite travel memory?
Bouncing up and down on the train, from Potosi to Cusco, in Peru and the table cloth turning brown from all the spilled hot chocolate and cake.
10. Finally, what’s your favourite tipple?
A cold beer on a hot afternoon…
To find out more information & to book beds, visit their website – www.northshorebude.com