December Q&A: Heart of Gold, Berlin
December’s Q&A is with Tom Schwarz from Heart of Gold Hostel in Berlin. This motorbiking, surf-loving dude has been caught up in hostel madness for a total of 17 years…
1. When did the Heart of Gold open?
2. What inspired you to set up a backpackers’ hostel?
The youth hostels were crap and we thought we can do better 🙂
3. Why did you set your hostel up in this location?
Because it was available, affordable and in the city centre!
4. What 3 words would you use to describe your hostel?
Central, comfortable & fun.
5. Any future plans for your hostel?
We want to offer more services and be even more fun!
6. What are the ‘must see’ sights of the area?
Everything – but to name a few highlights: Museums Island for the culture, Oranienburger Straße and “Scheunenviertel” for the fun and party, and the usualy suspects Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, TV Tower, Gendarmenmarkt which are bascially old Berlin.
7. What backpacking experiences have you had?
Usually they were on my motorbike in Greece, Italy, Ireland, Portugal, Marocco – then I took on the hostel and so no holidays for a loooong time. Now I’m doing some surfing in Portugal again… after 17 years of hostel madness!
8. What is your favourite travel destination?
None, I liked New York – but who wants to go to USA nowadays..?
9. What’s your favourite travel memory?
Having sex (sry) on a lonely beach at night in Greece (Tassos actually) – with my girlfriend – and going in the water after.. [not quite what we were after but thanks for your honesty 😉 – Ed]
10. Finally, what’s your favourite tipple?
“Jägermeister” in all sizes..
For more information about Heart of Gold, visit their website. Book yourself a stay at this fun hostel in Berlin, a city full of amazing sights, culture and entertainment.
Backpax Travel would love to keep you updated… sign up to our monthly newsletter for hot jobs, special offers from hostels and tours, competitions and up-to-date travel news! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter too. Visit our home page for inspiring travel articles, top travel tips, hostel reviews and more…